Local employers see only ability not disability
“The first ever Jobs Fair for local people with long term illnesses and disabilities will be held in Nottingham North tomorrow Friday from 11:30 am at the Riverside Centre, Bulwell. It will follow our Disability Confident event attended by supportive local employers to bust the myths about employing disable people. Both events are organised by the Nottingham North charity Rebalancing the Outer Estates with partners DWP &City Council. Positive local employers like Debenhams, Primark, Comfort Call and many others will be present”. said Graham Allen MP, Chair of Rebalancing.
“7 million people in the UK are disabled or have a health condition. But that doesn’t mean that all those people can’t work. Often those people want to work and have the necessary qualification but they are faced with embarrassment, misunderstanding or stigma about their disability and as a result, some employers may be reluctant to employ them. That’s why we in Nottingham North look at ability not disability!”
“The aim of the event is to help break the myths around disability and offer advice to both employers and employees about working together. This will then be followed by a market place style jobs fair with a mixture of disability advice/support, job vacancies and disability aware employers such as Debenhams, Primark, Comfort Call and many more.”
“We should all look beyond a disability or long-term health condition and see the value of the real person. That is the message the Rebalancing the Outer Estates Charity will be bringing to local employers at the event on Friday. Creating job opportunities for people with and without disabilities is good for people and good for business.” Added Graham
08:45am – 10:45am
• 08:45 - 09:00 Registration Tea & Coffee
• 09:00 - 09:10 Opening Address – Graham Allen MP
• 09:10 – 09:15 DWP – Graham Sheppard
• 09:15 – 09:30 E.ON – Simon Fawkes-Underwood
• 09:30 – 09:40 United Parcel Service – Andy Campion
• 09:40 – 09:50 Nottingham Fit for Work – Steve Morris
• 09:50 – 10:00 Remploy – Jean Cabena
• 10:00 – 10:15 Pledge Session – Roger Adkin
What can my business do to support people with a Health Condition return to work?
I/we will: Sign up to the Government’s Disability Confident campaign and in doing so will make steps to promote the campaign locally and lead by example.
I/we will: Look further into the help available from Government to assist with workplace adaptions to make our offices completely accessible to disabled people
I/we will: Offer work experience/placements or internships at my organisation to help give disabled people more opportunities to gain valuable experience.
• 10:15 – 10:30 Offers of support
• Jobcentre Plus – What can they offer locally – Tracy Gooch
• Access to Work – How they can support employers – Roger Adkin
• Good news story – Anne Bennett – Catering Assistant at Servest
• 10:30 – Closing Remarks – Graham Allen MP
• Networking followed by Market Place Jobsfair from 11:30am